Association of International Forwarding and Logistics Service Providers
Established in June 1986 in Istanbul by a small group of Freight Forwarders to create an industry association to meet the professional demands of its members, UTIKAD today has 400+ members from literally every segment of the Turkish transport and logistics industry: Freight Forwarders, Airlines, Truckers, Intermodal Operators, Warehousing Companies as well as customs brokers.
Members of UTIKAD are engaged in the total supply chain by serving the freight world through all modes of transport; air, road, rail, sea and intermodal transport.
As a non-governmental organisation and trade association funded by membership fees, UTIKAD operates with a number of sub-committees each specializing on a sectoral sub-division and a full-time secretariat which includes administrators, industry experts, academicians, corporate and press relations specialists.
- advocates the industry before the governmental bodies and issues position papers,
- promotes the internationalisation of Turkey’s Logistics sector,
- circulates advises and information with its weekly bulletins and newsletters,
- supports Industry Promotion by improving standards of professionalism within the Logistics and supply chain management,
- conducts vocational training, courses and seminars for its members and the entire commercial world,
- publishes books, annual reports, brochures, flyers related to transport and logistics,
- provides FIATA documents such as FIATA Bill of Ladings, FCRs to its members as an authorised member association of FIATA,
- hosts and supports national, international conferences, exhibitions and seminars,
- establishes and conducts cooperation with other national and international associations as well as non-governmental civil organisations.
- promotes value-added tools in supportive sectors and subjects such as Risk Management and Legal Consultancy
With remarkable and respectable qualifications within Turkey, UTIKAD gradually took memberships in the Advisory Board of the Ministry of Transport, Maritime and Communication (UDHB), the Customs and Commercial Council in Ministry of Customs and Trade and the Transport and Logistics Council of the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey (TOBB).
UTIKAD is also a founder organisation within the Foreign Economic Relations Board of Turkey (DEIK) and a permanent member of the Logistics Council of the Turkish Exporters Assembly (TIM). UTIKAD’s President represents the Logistics Industry at the Assembly of Istanbul Chamber of Commerce.
UTIKAD is also involved in commercial activities for and on behalf of its members. For the simplification and optimization of the railway arrival services UTIKAD has assumed the terminal handling of block trains arriving from Europe to Çerkezkoy Railway Station. Another commercial activity of UTIKAD is the direct investment in the BALO Company, the first Turkish block train operator from Anatolia to Europe.
UTIKAD works together with IATA and Airports Cargo Committee of Turkey to implement electronic systems like E-Freight, E-AWB in Turkey.
Today, UTIKAD is well recognized in representing the Turkish Freight Forwarding and Logistics Industry worldwide.
UTIKAD is an associate member to FIATA, the International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations, the World’s largest non-governmental organisation in the Transport and Logistics.
UTIKAD is an observer member of CLECAT, the European Association for Forwarding, Transport, Logistics and Customs Services. In both organisations UTIKAD has got delegates and advisors in various working groups and boards.
UTIKAD is also a Founder Member of ECOLPAF, the Federation of Logistics Service Providers Associations at ECO, the Economic Cooperation Organisation.
International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations
FIATA, a non-governmental organization, represents today an industry covering approximately 40,000 forwarding and firms, also known as the «Architects of Transport», employing around 8 - 10 million people in 150 countries.
FIATA has consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (inter alia ECE, ESCWA), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), and the UN Commission on International Law (UNCITRAL).
It is recognized as representing the freight forwarding industry by many other governmental organizations, governmental authorities, private international organizations in the field of transport such as the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), International Air Transport Association (IATA), the International Union of Railways (UIC), the International Road Transport (IRU), the World Customs Organization (WCO), the World Trade Organization (WTO), etc.
In summary, FIATA is the largest non-governmental organization in the field of transportation. Its influence is worldwide.